Rhys Bane joined Lubbers, Boer & Douma in December of 2023. Prior to joining Lubbers, Boer & Douma, Rhys worked for an international law firm as an attorney-at-law and tax advisor for over 5 years. During this time, he gained experience in international tax law, with a focus on (US) multinationals. Rhys is specialized in the international aspects of the Dutch withholding taxes and the corporate income tax, tax treaties and European tax law.
Rhys is an active member of the Dutch Association for Tax Science, where he has been organizing the annual young members’ meeting for several years. Further, Rhys was the secretary of the ‘Core Group on Legal Protection & Legal Certainty’ and the ‘Tax Legislation Bottleneck’ Committees of the Dutch Order of Tax Advisors. Rhys regularly publishes in academic journals and has contributed to several books as a co-author, an example of which is Dispute Resolution under Tax Treaties and Beyond of the EC and International Tax Law Series of the IBFD. For his master thesis on the arbitration mechanism contained in the Multilateral Instrument, Rhys won the NOB/LOF thesis prize.
- External PhD candidate at Leiden University
- Author NDFR Delen European Tax Law (Tax Arbitration Act)
- Dispute Resolution under Tax Treaties and Beyond (Guglielmo Maisto ed.), IBFD 2023 (Netherlands National Report)
- Overkill in de implementatie van ATAD2: de buiten beschouwing blijvende vaste inrichting, WFR 2023/199 (with R.V. Kleimann)
- Rechtsbescherming vóór, tijdens en na de onderlinge overlegprocedure, WFR 2023/26
- Ontwikkelingen op het gebied van fiscale arbitrage in Nederland, MBB 2020/12